Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Six Functions of Art: #3... Record and Commemorate

Six Functions of Art

3. Record and Commemorate.

The Arc de Triomphe ("Triumphal Arch"), Paris, France
Art records our progress and deeds in many ways. Ancient civilizations are often defined by their art through ARTifacts found by archaeologists. The Arc de Triomphe (Arc de Triomphe de l'Étoile) is one of the most famous monuments in Paris. It stands in the centre of the Place Charles de Gaulle at the western end of the Champs-Élysées. The "Triumphal Arch” was built to honor those who fought and died for France in the French Revolution, and the Napoleonic Wars and houses the vault of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier from World War I. It is the larger of two arch’s built (Arc de Triomphe du Carrousel stands near the Louve). This monument immediately came to mind for my example as I remember my uncle describing the feeling of pride he got riding past this arch while serving in France during World War II.

Stay tuned as I share my thoughts and examples on function #4... Give tangible form to the unknown.


Tribute to Gold Star Moms
10x8" oil on linen panel
Bernie Rosage Jr.



No comments: